Sunday, August 31, 2008

My Friends Are Better Than Your Friends

The clouds and dust in my mind clear on this windy morning and a smile still dominates my face. My amazing friends threw a surprise birthday party for me last night at the studio, Mexyland. It didn't even occur to me that it was happening even when I was present at a number of different planning stages. Even when I got there and they had set up speakers outside I was completely oblivious. I saw a couple of balloons but guessed that maybe we were having something with the usual crew to celebrate my birthday (Tuesday) and Ngozi's (Thursday). But then people started arriving en masse. All the international students were there as were the usual Mexyland crew and it was the best night I've had in Gabs, and possibly one of the best nights of my life. I wish I had better pictures, but I was too busy being happy to spend time taking them. But I'll leave you with some mental pictures and go play with my new pair of finger skates and marvel at how truly beautiful my friends are.

Think: dance circles in the driveway, streamers, balloons, knock-out cake and cupcakes, impromptu heavy metal jam sessions, and a wonderful night blanketed by stars and kept alive by the subtlest of breezes. Thank you Ilana, Daniel, Anna, Mex, Lebo, Khwezi and everyone else for the party and most of all - thanks Gabs.

No comments: